Fresh Lemongrass

So I finally found time to do some much needed grocery shopping the other day.  Sometimes, it’s really hard to find a few minutes to escape from Soap Making Resource business matters and run some personal errands.

I try my best to eat a lot of veggies and I love to create various stir fries.  I was browsing through the different vegetables and herbs, looking for ingredients, and ran into the below pictured fresh lemongrass.

Now, for some reason, I’ve never seen fresh lemongrass in the grocery store before.  Of course, my mind went instantly to thinking about soap making and the wonderful scent of lemongrass essential oil and dried lemongrass herb.

As nonchalantly as I could, I snapped the above picture with my phone trying not to look too conspicuous.  It’s not everyday that somebody spots fresh lemongrass and sprints over to perform an impromptu herbal photo shoot!  I think this proves that I cannot turn the soap bug off.  I think it will always be there, and I don’t mind… even if it does sometimes make me look a little odd!

I thought it was interesting to see how different fresh lemongrass looks compared to the dried lemongrass that we use for soap making.  I would have never guessed that this stuff was about a foot or two long!

Of course, I just had to pick some up and take a whiff.  Oddly enough, it had barely any scent.  Maybe you have to cook it or dry it to reveal its aroma.  Interesting.

Soap Making Resource is the home of quality soap making supplies and tutorials.  Visit us today and become a part of our community!

11 Responses to Fresh Lemongrass

1. Carmel says:

We grow Lemongrass at home here in Australia. It spreads into a really large clump & ours is 8 or 9feet tall now. I’m surprised that you say the lemongrass you smelt had little scent. Ours is quite pungent, but perhaps because we break a little piece off to release the fragrance. I have not used this in soapmaking yet as I don’t think it is a fragrance that appeals to many even though it is very lemony in its own way. I use mainly for asian cooking. If you do a recipe with it, I would be very interested though.

• Steve says:

Hi Carmel! Wow… 8 or 9 feet tall. Yeah… when I smelt it, it pretty much had no scent. I didn’t break off a piece of it though. I’m sure that would have released more fragrance. Next time I’m at the store, I may buy some just to experiment with it. I actually LOVE the scent of lemongrass and I think it goes very well in some musky blends. I didn’t like it at all at first, but it seems to be one that grows on you!

2. Bosun says:

Lemongrass is all around my house. And in the tropics it is a wild growing herb, producing by itself every raining season. Certainly, will do some soap- making of it and post on the forum.

Steve! just thanking Infinite Intelligence that pervades around you for making you what you are today- “an immense contributor to entrepreneurship”.

You are blessed!

Bosun

• Steve says:

Hi Bosun! Thank you for the kind words :-) I owe all of what I do to the tremendous support system I have with both staff and family. Thanks for your interest in our forum. It will indeed be coming very soon. About 1 – 2 weeks till we get all the coding up.

3. Rita verbon says:

My mother originates from Indonesia and used it for flavouring rice for example. This rice was cooked for special festive occasions.
    Here in the Netherlands Lemongrass and many other asian vegetables are ‘fresh’ , dried or deepfreezed available in what we call toko’s, wich are specialty shops for Asian cooking.

4. When I lived in Saipan, the lemongrass would grow so tall! When it was cut you can smell the fragrance – it was wonderful. I like making tea with it.

• Steve says:

I’ve had lemongrass tea before and LOVED it. I guess that’s why the lemongrass in the store didn’t have much of an aroma… because I didn’t cut or break them.

5. Jocelyn Yao says:

Hi Steve,

To release the fragrance you can try using a mortar and pestle to bruise the end portion of the lemongrass. It works great for drinks or curry with it. I have infused lemongrass, bruised in sunflower oil but I couldn’t get the aroma out. I added lemongrass EO to my soap and had great feedback that it works as a natural deodoriser.

• Steve says:

Hi Jocelyn! I love lemongrass EO. Interesting that you had feedback that it worked as a natural deodorizer. I know a lot of people make homemade deodorants. Maybe that could be a good natural ingredient.

6. Kuukua says:

I have lemon grass all around my house in Accra. I usually cook rice with it but removes the grass before serving. I tried it in soap but lost the sweet scent.